Bread and apple pudding
A traditional wholesome pudding to warm you up in the winter months.
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar plus 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 568ml (1 pint) semi skimmed milk
- 2 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons sultanas
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 slices wholemeal or white bread
- unsaturated oil, eg rapeseed, sunflower or corn oil
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly brush an ovenproof dish with unsaturated oil.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks with the 4 tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Place the milk in a saucepan and gently heat until warm but not boiling. Remove from the heat. Add to the egg yolks and stir well to mix.
- Place the apples in a bowl with the sultanas, the remaining caster sugar and the cinnamon. Stir well to mix.
- Cut the crusts off the bread, then cut each slice into 4 triangles. Arrange half the bread triangles in the ovenproof dish, then sprinkle the apples and sultanas mixture over.
- Pour in the milk custard mixture, then arrange the remaining slices of bread over the top so they overlap.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes, then bake for 20–25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown on top.
Serve with natural yogurt or fromage frais.
25 minutes (plus 30 minutes soaking time)