An appetising blend of the ordinary and oriental.
2 medium chicken portions
1 dessertspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 clove garlic (optional), peeled and crushed
- 1 dessertspoon plain flour
- 120ml chicken stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can beans, eg haricot or kidney beans
- 4oz frozen sweetcorn or canned sweetcorn
- 1 green pepper (optional)
- Wash, deseed and chop the pepper. Drain and rinse the beans, and cut the chicken into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken, onion, curry powder, mixed herbs and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes with their juice, beans, sweetcorn, green pepper, and pepper to season.
- Bring to the boil, stirring. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes (or until the chicken is tender).
Serve with jacket potatoes, boiled rice or pasta.